PROJECT FREE IRAN (PFI)
START THE IRANIAN NEW YEAR BY SUPPORTING THE IRANIAN PEOPLES’ STRUGGLE FOR FREEDOM
We will be kicking off SGD's Project Free Iran with a information table
on Wednesday, March 24th to provide information about the true nature of the
Iranian elections. The table will be held from 9am to 12 noon in Ballantine
Hall on the ground floor. Please stop by if you're interested!
When 88% of the electorate does not vote and the 12% who do can only vote for candidates supportive of the regime, it can never be called a true election.
An election like the Teheran regime held on February 20th would be like if in the US election this November John Kerry was banned from running.
No longer can we turn a blind eye to the suffering of the Iranian people under the brutal and totalitarian regime. We need to directly support those in Iran who are working for freedom. We can do this in the following ways:
- Call for the regime leaders to resign.
- Directly support the Iranian democracy activists with funds and training.
- Set up television and radio networks that effectively communicate the message of the Iranian people and promote the message of democracy in Iran.
MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD
Support the following petition by copying and pasting it into an email with the subject of "I Support Action to Work for Iranian Democracy in the Spirit of Senate Resolution 304", and send the email to the following addresses:
You need to go to the addresses and fill out the forms for these last four:
PETITION TO CALL FOR UNITED STATES TO TAKE ACTIVE STEPS TO WORK FOR DEMOCRACY IN IRAN
Senate Resolution 304, agreed to in Senate February 12th, 2004, stated the following:
(1) the United States should not support the elections in Iran scheduled to take place on February 20, 2004, as such elections stifle the growth of the democratic forces in Iran and do not serve the national security interest of the United States;
(2) the support provided by the United States to Iran should be provided to the people of Iran; and
(3) the policy of the United States should be to advocate a democratic government in Iran that will restore freedom to the people of Iran, will abandon terrorism, will protect human rights, and will live in peace and security with the international community.
This is wonderful rhetoric, but it needs to be followed with effective action. This petition proposes that the U.S. should do the following in order to truly promote democracy in Iran to save the millions of Iranians from brutal oppression:
This petition will be passed on to the following individuals in the US government:
- Call for the resignation and isolation of the regime leaders in Teheran but do not engage in a blanket embargo that would hurt the Iranian people much more than it would the regime.
- Send funds and training to help democracy activists work towards a general strike leading to a free and fair referendum to allow the Iranian people to freely choose their government.
- Fund television networks and radio stations greatly to effectively promote the message of democracy in Iran.
Sponsors of Senate Resolution 304:
Senator Sam Brownback R-KS
Senator Tom Daschle D-SD
Senator Pat Leahy D-VT
Senator Joe Biden D-DE
Senator Richard Lugar R-IN
Senator Evan Bayh D-IN
President George Bush
Secretary of State Colin Powell